The following excursions are being provided for accompanying persons and their families.
Tuesday, 16th August 2022
An excursion has been arranged which will visit the Glasgow Botanic Gardens, (https://glasgowbotanicgardens.co.uk/) which is situated in the West End of Glasgow. It was in 1817 that Thomas Hopkirk, a distinguished Glasgow botanist, founded the Botanic Gardens with the support of a number of local dignitaries and the University of Glasgow. The Gardens were originally laid out on an 8 acre site at Sandyford at the western end of Sauchiehall Street (at that time, on the edge of the city). The Royal Botanical Institution of Glasgow owned and ran the Gardens and agreed to provide the University of Glasgow with teaching aids, including a supply of plants for medical and botanical classes.
Stewart Murray, the first curator, laid out the grounds and Hopkirk donated three thousand plants as the nucleus of the collection. In 1821 William Jackson Hooker, one of the most eminent botanists in the world at the time, was appointed Professor of Botany at the University of Glasgow. During the twenty years the Gardens were under his guidance they went from strength to strength so that in 1825 the collections numbered 12,000. In 1841 Hooker was appointed Director of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
The Gardens flourished to such an extent that in 1839 a new site, to the west of the city on the banks of the River Kelvin, was purchased to house the rapidly expanding collections. In 1842 the new Gardens opened on their present site. Members of the Royal Botanic Institution of Glasgow had a right to free entrance. The public were admitted only at weekends and had each to pay a fee of a penny.
The Kibble Palace which now houses a forest of tree ferns was originally a private conservatory located at Coulport on Loch Long. It was moved to its present site in 1873 and was first used as a concert hall and meeting place, hosting celebrated speakers such as Gladstone and Disraeli. Also on site is a Tearoom which serves light lunches, teas and coffees.
In the afternoon the excursion will visit Glasgow Cathedral (https://www.glasgowcathedral.org/). The first stone built Glasgow Cathedral was dedicated in the presence of King David I in 1136. The present building was consecrated in 1197. Since that same period the Cathedral has never been unroofed and the worship of God has been carried out within its walls for more than 800 years. The splendid achievements of the architects and builders of those far off days can be studied and admired. Not everything, however, is old and the Cathedral has one of the finest post-war collections of stained glass windows to be found in Britain. e.g. see John K Clark’s Millennium window
The Cathedral has a regular and active congregation, and no visitor should leave the city without making a visit.
Unusually, the church is Crown property and is cared for by Historic Environment Scotland on behalf of Scottish Ministers. Historic Environment Scotland have written a souvenir guidebook, and provide expert interpretation to help bring the medieval Cathedral to life – after all, this is the best preserved example of a large church to have survived from the medieval period in Scotland.
Almost adjacent to Glasgow Cathedral is Provand's Lordship which will also be visited. The Provand's Lordship of Glasgow, is a medieval historic house museum located at the top of Castle Street within sight of the Glasgow Cathedral and Glasgow Royal Infirmary, and next to the St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art. Provand's Lordship was built as part of St Nicholas's Hospital by Andrew Muirhead, Bishop of Glasgow in 1471. A western extension, designed by William Bryson, was completed in 1670.
In the early 19th century the house was occupied by a canon supported by income from the Lord of the Prebend (or "Provand") of Barlanark. Later that century it was acquired by the Morton Family who used it as a sweet shop. Following a generous donation Sir William Burrell, in the form of cash as well a collection of seventeenth-century Scottish furniture in the late 1920s, the house was bought by the specially-formed Provand's Lordship Society, whose aim was to protect it. In 1978, the building was acquired by the City of Glasgow who restored it and it was reopened to the public in 1983, and, following further restoration work which lasted two years, re-opened again in 2000.
Entry to all of these sites is free of charge, at the time of preparation of this summary.
Wednesday, 17th August 2022
An excursion has been arranged to visit the Burrell Collection (https://burrellcollection.com/).
The Burrell Collection is an international art collection in the city of Glasgow, Scotland. It is housed in its own award-winning building, in Pollok Country Park on the south side of the city. The museum closed for refurbishment on 23 October 2016 and was due to reopen in 2020, however, due to the pandemic is now scheduled to reopen in March 2022.
Sir William Burrell (1861–1958) was born and raised in Glasgow. He joined his father and brother in the family business as a shipping merchant, and through clever investments, made a fortune. This allowed him to pursue his life’s work – collecting art and antiques.
Even at school his love of art was apparent. He bought his first painting aged 15 with a few shillings he’d been given for a cricket bat. This was the catalyst for a great love and appreciation of art. He went on to be an active collector for over 75 years, with a passion to learn and understand more about the art and objects lasting his whole life.
By 1900, he was a respected collector in the fields of late Gothic and early Renaissance European art, including magnificent tapestries and stained glass and late 19th century French art, including more than 20 works by Edgar Degas.
He was one of the largest donors of artworks to the 1901 Glasgow International Exhibition, the legacy of which is the much-loved Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
Sir William believed in free education for all and wanted the people of the city to be able to access his fine collection. In 1944, together with his wife Constance, he generously gifted the Collection to the City of Glasgow.
A staggering 9,000 objects form The Burrell Collection. Highlights include one of the most significant holdings of Chinese art in the UK, medieval treasures including stained glass, arms and armour and over 200 tapestries which rank amongst the finest in the world, and paintings by renowned French artists including Manet, Cezanne and Degas.
According to the Burrells’ specific wishes, it was to be housed where people could appreciate the art in a countryside setting. After many years of searching for a suitable site, the opening of the museum in Pollok Country Park in 1983 was received with much critical and public acclaim.
This magnificent collection in its purpose-built home surrounded by beautiful parkland, is ranked amongst the most significant civic museum collections in the UK, comparable to the National Gallery and the V&A in London.
The significance of the opening in 1983 cannot be over-estimated: it sparked the regeneration of Glasgow as a major cultural city, following decades of post-industrial decline. In its first year of opening, the museum attracted more than one million visits.
Entry to the Collection is free, at the time of preparation of this summary, and the Burrell will have a range of dining options including coffee stops, a cafe and a restaurant, all serving excellent, innovative Scottish produce.
Thursday, 18th August 2022
The Congress excursion will consist of a series of visits to famous Glasgow Museums.
Our coach will depart from the Hilton Glasgow Hotel at 10.00am to travel the relatively short distance to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum, which opened in 1901 as part of the Glasgow International Exhibition. Glaswegians are justifiably proud of this free attraction. It features 22 themed, state-of-the-art galleries. Discover everything from art to animals, Ancient Egypt to Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The collections are extensive and internationally significant, with famous paintings by Renoir, Rembrant, Salvador Dali and, of course, 'the Glasgow Boys'.
Please note that SCCA will not be providing lunch. The Museum Restaurant serves food and drinks throughout the day and at lunchtime organ recitals can be enjoyed daily from the groundfloor cafe. There are excellent souvenir shops in the basement, adjacent to the restaurant.
In the afternoon our coach will take us to the Riverside Museum. The Museum, designed by Zaha Hadid Architects, is Glasgow's multi-award winning transport museum located on the banks of the River Clyde, with over 3,000 objects on display from collections of historic vehicles to skateboards. You can walk through the reconstructed old Glasgow streets and visit the shops, bars and 'Subway'. Climb aboard, a train, tram or bus, help put out a fire with the interactive fire engine or discover Glasgow's rich shipbuilding history. There are over 90 large touch screen panels full of memories and films telling the stories behind the objects. The state-of-the-art Museum is free to enter, has a cafe and restaurant and souvenir shop.
Berthed outside you will find the Tall Ship, "Glenlee", the UK's only floating Clyde-built ship, which was built as a bulk cargo carrier in 1896. Step aboard and explore this restored Victorian Sailing Ship. This attraction is also free.
As an alternative to the visit to the Riverside Museum, a tour and whisky tasting, lasting approximately 1 hour has been arranged at the nearby Clydeside Distillery, ( https://www.theclydeside.com/book-a-tour/the-clydeside-tour/) which is housed in the Pumphouse building. It should be noted that numbers are limited for this tour. It will be a case of "first come first served" and Delegates and Officials who wish to participate must book as soon as possible and pay for their visit by 8th May 2022. Cost per person is £15.